Wednesday 23 April 2014

Day 23: Foreign Translation

Today's prompt is to translate a foreign language poem according to what you think the words mean...

I flicked through a volume of Charles Baudelaire, but found that I couldn't look at the French without translating it! Then same with Pablo Neruda's Spanish poems.  So I chose an Irish poem by Nuala Ni Dhomhnaill (at random) then, only one verse, with extremely bizarre results:


An Ollmháthair Mhór - Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill

Maighdean is máthair, a bhuime, a bhuama adamhaigh,
tálfaidh tú orainn leacht ciardhubh do bhainne cín;
brúchtfaidh tú deannach an bholcáin aníos ó do scornach;
rúscfaidh tú boladh an dóite ó íochtar do chroí. 


 
Oh My Other More

Morning is my other, a beam, a buoyancy always
talking to orange locked curtains or a bottled sun;
breakfast to dinner and balking instead of scorn;
rusty bolt of doubt inside cringes.





No comments:

Post a Comment