Friday 8 April 2022

Day 8: Alter-Ego

 



Today's prompt was to write about our alter-ego. Alrightey then...!

(I always wanted to be She-Ra or Supergirl when I was younger, now I'll settle for any fierce feminist and brave woman. My alter-ego is definitely made of sterner stuff!)


Really enjoyed this!


Alter-Ego


A cross between She-Ra and Supergirl -

hero not victim, feminist not finesse -

without the spandex or cloak, she carries a sword

twice the size of herself, thickens the air

with that sure-of-herself stride. 

She is not meek. Spouts flames 

where I drown in silence, putters at the edge 

of rage with a spark I can barely extinguish. 

She does not vacillate between nuance and nicety

but plunges right in, guffaws and hyena-shrieks

at foibles I parley with politeness. 

She has no qualms, no quietness,

is no princess - but dragon, fire, fierce. 

Chomps at the bit of reality, chews, and spits

it out. Desires more. Does not give away an ounce

of self-worth.  Authenticity, bravery, ferocity, personified. 

Scarlett O' Hara's red earth rage 

heart held over hurdle of head. 

Medusa in anger, Artemis in age. 

Woman without worry, without want 

to please.  

She is all tongues, my alter-ego, 

when I am tongue-tied, vilified;

words her weapons, enemies hushed.

When I dither, it is her voice in my throat

between my teeth, wanting out.

Her self that trumps 

all sense of self-doubt. 


No comments:

Post a Comment