Monday 25 April 2016

Day 25: Stolen Lines


Excuse my absence, it's been a tough few weeks unfortunately in which a crisis has ousted poetry for a more pressing practicality.

But. Onwards. For poetry is always a salve.

I accidentally read the prompt wrong today - instead of stealing one famous line to start with, I'm using several. A big nod to T.S Eliot.


Another

Maybe April is the cruelest month -
breeding love out of the deadlands,
mixing memory with regret, new buds
with old imaginings.
For to make an end is to make a beginning.

How long, how often, we've tried to start anew,
but happiness is a grafted plant
that refuses to grow in shallow soil
rife with rocks, and not-so-nimble fingers.
Do I dare disturb it?

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons
the taste of each new day a stimulant;
night, a back-to-black affair.
Where have all the bells gone?
Exultant, ye who go on.

Let us go then, you and I
to a place just shy of sky, huddled
together so well they'll strain to know us. 
Consider my universe disturbed.
Love is a madman's song
querying the dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment